It’s been a couple of months now since I first wrote about our huge kitchen refit project and it should come as no surprise to anyone that knows me that we’re still living with our temporary set up in the lounge. But that’s not to say progress hasn’t been made. We’ve crossed that all important line between destruction and making good, just about everything’s been ripped out – doors, windows, ceilings, plaster and lathe, floors – and now it’s gradually being replaced. Phil of PJS Windows did his usual excellent job fitting the new door and window which flood the room with light even on a grey day (and no, this isn’t a paid ad, we’re just very happy with his work). At last we’re putting paint on the walls, even if it’s just a mist coat over the fresh plaster.
I’m almost finished with the fireplace and feeling pretty proud of my efforts. I removed all the plaster, cleaned the bricks, raked out the old, dusty mortar and knocked out any bricks that were loose, damaged or out of line. Husband kindly replaced and re-layed said bricks and I set to work repointing – at first I got more mortar on the floor than in the joints but after a while I got the knack and whilst I don’t think I have a very good technique, the end result looked pretty good. Now I just need to clean the soot off the interior and tidy up the hearth.
Husband’s done a stirling job of the plumbing and rewiring, working most evenings to get the first fix done before the plasterer came to put in a new ceiling and board and skim the walls. Before that, and with the help of my brother-in-law, he dug out the old concrete floor in what was the scullery so we could replace it with joists and boards to match the rest of the room. He’s also built a stud wall where the old under-stairs cupboard door was and replaced the tired old kitchen door with a rather nice glazed one which will allow the light to shine into our rather-dim hallway. What a star!
As you can see from the photos, our kitchen is starting to look more like room and less like a building site. The plastering made a huge difference and once the plaster is dry and had a mist coat we can do some real painting. I’m planning on a pale green to reflect the light and, fingers-crossed, tone nicely with the woodblock work tops I’ve set my heart on. After that there’s some serious work to be done on the floor which needs fixing down, sanding, staining and lots of varnish. Then on with skirting boards, architrave and light fittings. Hopefully we’ll be ordering the kitchen units in just a few weeks time – eeeh! Watch this space. I also have some exciting news on appliances (well, exciting to me).